Thumbnail for 516951

Redlands fire captain who helped save unconscious children is honored

By in Press Enterprise on December 23, 2017

By Brian Rokos

A Redlands fire captain who helped save the lives of six children who were knocked unconscious by carbon monoxide poisoning at an indoor pool in Michigan has been honored for his actions.

Terry Welsh was one of 24 Californians who received awards from the California Emergency Medical Services Authority on Dec. 6 in San Francisco. Welsh was presented a medal for lifesaving.

While vacationing in Michigan on April 1, Welsh noticed police at his hotel in Niles after he returned from a run. Six children ages 12-14 were unresponsive in the pool area. Welsh turned them on their sides and cleared their airways.

Welsh had firefighters put a fan in the doorway to blow out the carbon monoxide and ordered the hotel evacuated.

A 13-year-old boy died, and a dozen others, including three police officers, were hospitalized after a pool heater malfunctioned.

“It was surreal to see everything going on,” Welsh said in an interview a few days later, “but seeing those kids passed out around the pool deck, I knew I could help.”

[…]    

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*