Philip Rivers is questionable, but Chargers ‘hopeful’ he clears concussion protocol
By Jack Wang
COSTA MESA — Philip Rivers remains in the concussion protocol, but the Chargers starting quarterback has progressed enough to practice fully for two straight days.
Officially listed as questionable for Sunday’s 1:05 p.m. kickoff against the Bills at StubHub Center, Rivers cannot play until he is cleared by an independent neurologist. Coach Anthony Lynn said he was “hopeful” that the 35-year-old recovers in time, but acknowledged that the final decision does not belong to either him or Rivers.
Mendenhall Busts Free…
USC’s Maualuga, Mays Awards Finalists
“He’s done more and more every day in practice, so that’s encouraging,” Lynn said Friday afternoon.
Lynn added that the quarterback could be examined by doctors again later in the day, or on Saturday.
Rivers has not missed a game in over a decade, starting 194 consecutive regular-season and postseason contests since replacing Drew Brees in 2006.
The Chargers (3-6) already ruled out starting right tackle Joe Barksdale earlier this week due to a lingering foot injury, and could also be without linebacker Hayes Pullard (neck). Also inactive in Jacksonville last weekend, Pullard is doubtful to play Sunday.
Defensive end Chris McCain and linebacker James Onwualu both have quad injuries, and are respectively listed as questionable and doubtful to face the Bills.