Lockdown lifted at Travis Air Force Base after report of ‘active shooting’
BY NOEL HARRIS, CATHY LOCKE and DALE KASLER
Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield was locked down for about an hour Wednesday afternoon after emergency personnel responded to reports of a shooting on the base outside of Fairfield.
Base spokesman James Hodgman confirmed that personnel were investigating “an active shooting,” but he had no information on any casualties. Hodgman said the initial reports indicated that the shooting occurred in the vicinity of the Base Exchange, where military personnel shop, but he couldn’t immediately confirm that.
At around 5 p.m., CBS 13 reported on Twitter that the main gates had opened and vehicle traffic was entering and exiting the base. Loudspeakers broadcast the message “all clear,” Fox 40 reported at 5:06 p.m.
We take every security incident seriously. Thank you for your patience.
— Travis AFB Official (@Travis60AMW) June 15, 2017
Earlier, the base issued a security alert for what is being called a “real world security incident” and advised personnel to “shelter in place” and lock their doors and windows,
Bobbie Textor, a secretary in Travis’ public affairs office, said the incident began about 3:20 p.m. during a training exercise on how to respond to a security incident. This resulted in initial confusion, but she said the incident was confirmed as real, not part of the training scenario.
She declined to discuss the nature of the incident but said the base had been secured and the public was being asked to stay away in the interest of safety.
Travis, home to thousands of military and civilian personnel, houses several Air Force units and a medical center. It was built during the 1940s.