LaVar Ball reportedly pulls son LiAngelo Ball from UCLA
LaVar Ball put an end to his son LiAngelo’s indefinite suspension at UCLA by working to pull his son from the school, according to multiple reports.
After the news was first reported by TMZ on Monday afternoon, the famous patriarch of the Ball family told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman “we are exploring other options with Gelo.”
“He’s out of there,” Ball told ESPN.
LaVar Ball told ESPN he has pulled LiAngelo Ball from UCLA. “We are exploring other options with Gelo,” LaVar said. “He’s out of there.”
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) December 4, 2017
LiAngelo and fellow freshman teammates Cody Riley and Jalen Hill were suspended indefinitely from the basketball team after they admitted to shoplifting in China last month. They were not allowed to practice, travel with the team or suit up for games during the suspension, which was contingent on an ongoing investigation by UCLA’s Office of Student Conduct.
All charges were dropped by Chinese officials before the trio returned to the United States one week after getting arrested. The three players, along with head coach Steve Alford and Athletic Director Dan Guerrero, held a joint press conference Nov. 15 in which they read prepared statements. All three players were apologetic for their actions.
“We’re young men, however, it’s not an excuse for making a really stupid decision,” LiAngelo said in what was his only official appearance in front of media as a UCLA basketball player. “I don’t feel sorry for myself and I’ve learned my lesson from this big mistake and I’m 110% sure that I’m not making a bad decision like this one again. I’d also like everyone to know that this does not define who I am.”