Thumbnail for 494467

‘House of Cards’ ending after Kevin Spacey allegations

By in Press Enterprise on October 30, 2017

By Rob Lowman

The Netflix drama “House of Cards” is ending after its upcoming sixth season.

The announcement comes in the wake of allegations in Buzzfeed against its star, Kevin Spacey on Sunday by Anthony Rapp, one of the stars of CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery.”

Rapp alleged that Spacey made sexual advances toward him at a party in 1986 when Rapp was 14. Spacey, who was 26 at the time, responded to the allegations saying he was “beyond horrified” by Rapp’s story and apologized for any “inappropriate drunken behavior,” but he says he did not remember the incident.

On Monday, Netflix and House of Cards producer Media Rights Capital issued a statement Monday that said they are “deeply troubled” by the allegations made against Spacey, who is also an executive producer. They added that the actor was not on the set in Maryland of the series, which is beginning to film its sixth season.

The actor, who had not previously opened up publicly about his sexuality, went on to say he was choosing “to live as a gay man” from now on. That comment drew criticism from members of the gay community and others.

The political drama marked Netflix’s big push into original programming. When Spacey and director David Fincher updated the British series it’s based on, “House of Cards” set off a bidding war won by the streamer for an estimated $100 million for two seasons.

The gamble paid off. “House of Cards” was the first Netflix show to draw critical acclaim, receiving multiple Emmy nominations, including five for outstanding drama series, and Spacey and Robin Wright have won Golden Globes for their roles. It also brought in new subscribers Netflix was looking for.

Even without the Spacey allegation, “House of Cards” seemed to be heading to closing time. Season 5 received mix reviews at best […]    

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*