Thumbnail for 418441

Got overgrown weeds outside your home? You may be getting one of these

By in Press Enterprise on May 17, 2017

By Alex Groves

Residents of the unincorporated areas of Riverside County who have overgrown weeds, grasses or other flammable vegetation on their properties may receive a notice to clear the brush, according to fire officials.

A Notice of Violation and Order to Abate will be sent out to homes in the unincorporated areas of the county this week, according to a news release from the Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department.

Riverside County ordinances 695 and 772 detail how certain kinds of brush, vines and dead trees should be cleared from properties to reduce the risk of fire.

Every year, the news release says, the Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department responds to wildland fires that are caused when people improperly use motorized equipment to clear brush.

In one instance, brush clearance was credited with saving homes in a May 3 Riverside fire.

Fire officials say that anyone who needs information about, or assistance with, the clearance of hazardous brush or vegetation can call 951-943-0460.

They also recommend visiting to prepare for possible wildfires.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *