Ex-con who threatened stepfather gets 6 years in prison
An ex-con who threatened to shoot his stepfather and briefly held the man at gunpoint in his San Jacinto home is bound for state prison to serve a six-year sentence.
Francisco Javier Lopez, 25, was arrested in October following a standoff with Riverside County sheriff’s deputies. His case was slated for trial on Tuesday, May 16, , but the prosecution and defense requested an impromptu hearing Monday before Superior Court Judge Alonso Fernandez in Banning after a plea agreement was negotiated.
Lopez admitted a charge of making criminal threats, with a sentence-enhancing allegation of using a firearm in the commission of a felony, and prosecutors dropped one count each of kidnapping, firearm assault and being a convicted felon in possession of a loaded gun.
Deputies were called to the residence of Jose Orellana in the 22800 block of North San Jacinto Avenue about 12:30 p.m. Oct. 10 after receiving reports that the homeowner had been threatened by his stepson, sheriff’s Sgt. Gene McKinney said.
Orellana told deputies that Lopez had leveled a handgun at him during an argument and threatened to shoot him, and said he was briefly forced to remain in his house until the defendant put the pistol away.
The victim was outside the residence when deputies arrived, and a perimeter was established around the property. A middle school several blocks away was also placed on lockdown as a precaution.
Deputies issued several commands for the defendant to exit the home with his hands up, and Lopez ultimately complied. A loaded pistol and ammunition were seized inside the home, while methamphetamine was located in the defendant’s vehicle, McKinney said.
According to court records, Lopez has prior convictions for assault, being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, burglary and possession of drugs for […]