Back in the Day: Riverside’s Reid Park named for dentist, a local charter Lions Club member
By Steve Lech
In the northernmost reaches of Riverside lies a roughly 16-acre park named Reid Park.
Centered along North Orange Street, near where Orange becomes Center Street, the park has seen much use since its founding more than 50 years ago.
The park’s namesake is Dr. Enos Carpenter Reid, who was born in Lamar, Mo., in 1885.
When Enos was 3 years old, his family moved to Banning, where his father, Charles Reid, set up a general store on San Gorgonio Avenue. Young Enos went to school in Banning, then left for Los Angeles, where he completed dental school at the University of Southern California.
In 1914, Dr. Reid established a dental practice in Corona. Three years later, he moved his office to Riverside, where he would remain the rest of his life. It was in Riverside that he became involved in civic affairs, including being on the board of the Riverside County Dental Association, plus being a long-time member of the Elks Lodge and the Evergreen Masonic Lodge. However, he was most active in the Riverside Lions Club and was a charter member of that group.
The Reid family in Riverside did not just include Dr. Reid and his wife, Ethel. Dr. Reid’s brother, Charles O. Reid, established a well-respected department store downtown for many years. Dr. Reid’s son, Enos Charles Reid, became a renowned attorney in Riverside.
Dr. Enos Reid retired from his practice in 1954, but stayed active in civic affairs until his death four years later on June 21, 1958. Riverside had lost a well-respected person, and his fellow Lions Club members hoped to honor him in some way.
About that time, the idea of a community park on the city’s northside came about.
City records show that in April, 1961, after receiving a petition from the Lions, the Riverside City Council approved naming […]