Trump’s Response To Disaster Relief Raises Alarms
After last fall’s devastating Hurricane Matthew, Donald Trump’s presidential campaign headed to North Carolina towns ravaged by the disaster with around $29,000 worth of emergency supplies in tow.
The October delivery, led by Trump daughter-in-law Lara Trump, made for a nice photo op that the candidate, who was not present at the event, shared on his Twitter account.
Thank you @TrumpWomensTour!#MakeAmericaGreatAgain pic.twitter.com/R4oxaHpsAB
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 15, 2016
“My father-in-law said, ‘You take a break and go down and help them out,’”
Lara Trump said of those affected by the hurricane, which claimed 24 lives in North Carolina and another 20 in nearby states.
Last week, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) heard back from President Trump on his request for $929 million in aid to help with unmet hurricane recovery costs. Cooper sought funding mainly through the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Community Development Block Grant program.
Cooper expressed “shock and disappointment” over the federal response.
The Trump administration had denied more than 99 percent of the aid Cooper sought, providing the state a mere $6.1 million. The governor, working with his state’s congressional delegation ― including Republican Sen. Thom Tillis ― had estimated nearly $700 million needed to meet housing needs, more than $170 million to assist farmers, repair public facilities and provide health services to storm survivors, and $39 million to help close to 700 small businesses.
Cooper sent Trump a letter asking him to reconsider the request and pleaded with him and Congress to keep North Carolina’s needs in mind when preparing the 2018 federal budget, which is supposed to go into effect Oct. 1.
“Families displaced by the storm remain in hotels, due in part to […]